Good morning everyone! It’s me, Dylan Siwicki, your host of The Daily. Keep reading for the biggest things happening these days in town.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Warmer with periods of sunshine. High: 70 Low: 49.
Here are today’s top stories in Rochester-Rochester Hills:
- The family of an Oxford High senior who died in the mass shooting last fall has filed a federal lawsuit accuses Oxford schools of violating its own policies and state law. (Detroit Free Press)
- Police said they were looking for a man who tried to steal a truck from a Farmington Hills gas station on Friday. Police say the owner of the truck left the engine running when he entered the Shell service station, located on Grand River Avenue near Haggerty Road at 1:20 p.m. (Farmington Hills Patch)
- If Papa Smurf built a mansion, it might look like this mansion in West Bloomfield.
The Pine Lake Road house – dubbed ‘Smurf House’ by several media outlets – is making the rounds on social media because of its unique Cotswold-style blue roof which will instantly transport visitors to . (Michigan crest)
- Who hires in the Rochester-Rochester Hills area? Browse new local jobs. (Rochester-Rochester Hills patch)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a partner of the Patch brand. Whether you’re working from home or streaming your favorite movies, the new Ring Alarm Pro gives you an internet connection you can rely on, while keeping your home safe.
To learn more about the innovative security system, or to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in Rochester-Rochester Hills:
- “A Day in the Life” – Your Guide to Getting Started in Real Estate (6:00 p.m.)
- Tune Up Cardio Drumming – Spring Outdoor Drum (6:30 p.m.)
- Regular Board Meeting – Charter Township of Oakland (7:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Oakland University: “High school students Joel Butler and Ayah Neiroukh are the first recipients of the Presidential Pescovitz Scholarship, an award created by Oakland University President Ora Hirsch Pescovitz to foster scholarly work and leadership skills…” (Facebook)
- Oakland University: “Welcome to our new freshman! Orientation sessions starting this week continue through June. Accepted students can register at oakland.edu/orientation Go Grizzlies! •• #ThisisOU #oaklandu #oaklanduniversity # newstudents” (Facebook)
- Oakland County Parks and Recreation: “It’s a problem that’s plaguing the entire county: Beaches, pools and water parks are struggling to find the staff they need to keep their customers safe in the water. Just a week away from Memorial Day – the unofficial start of the summer season -….” (Facebook)
- Meadow Brook Room: “Be thrilled when Ben Sharkey takes the stage at Meadow Brook’s Garden Tent on Thursday, June 23 to kick off our exhilarating summer concert series. The perfect fusion of old school vintage cool and contemporary jazz, soul and jazz. pop in…” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Alright, you’re all caught up for today! I will join you early tomorrow morning with a new update.
— Dylan Siwicki
About me: I was born and raised on the Westside of Detroit, in the Polish blue-collar neighborhood of Warrendale. I am a Detroit Public School graduate who fought hard to earn my education. My aspiration to journalism came when I was young, when I started following the corruption scandal of former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. My first break into the world of journalism began with the opportunity to work at the Michigan Journal, where I primarily reported on campus and local news throughout the Dearborn community. I finally worked my way to the news editor. So, with first-hand experience growing up in a close-knit neighborhood, I know the importance of delivering news and telling stories that impact local communities. And as the latest news editor at Patch for Metro Detroit, it’s my job to deliver that news. So feel free to contact me about new tips or your own unique experiences at [email protected]
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Rochester-Rochester Hills Daily? Contact me at [email protected]